Saturday, August 9, 2014

And the Winner is...

I have decided to use sashiko embroidery to decorate the kimono.
The dyeing is now done and the pieces are in the dryer now. It came out mostly good, but in a few places the fabric bunched up so I am not very happy about that but I do not have anymore dye so I am going to to position the parts that bunched up so they still look nice. There are only a few parts at least so that is good.

Anyways...sashiko. 

I found a book that I had bought when I worked at Joann Fabrics called "Japanese Sashiko Inspirations" by Susan Briscoe. I read through it again today and decided that the kimono would look great with sashiko style stitching on it.
One of the first things the book tells you when you are planning sashiko is to get a grid.
So I am all excited looking for my quilters grid that I never used - can't find it. I decide okay, I have a spiral book of graph paper at least - can't find it.
And then I spot my drawing board and a big pad of paper and I decide to get sneaky about it.
So, after nearly an hour and a half, I've got my grid.
Yay grid!
Next I pulled out my measurements that I had gotten eons ago from Samantha and breakdown how much grid space I will need to each piece...and discover I did not have enough grod space. No problem, I halved the grid measurements. Crisis averted.

So next I pull up the design I want to use.
http://sakepuppets.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/p1090908.jpg
And I put a piece of paper on my drawing board over the grid and just kinda stare at the sashiko for a while before just picking a spot and jumping in and coming up with this.

So then I draw some lines on my kimono drawing and eventually decide on the flow of the pattern.

Essentially, the right side starts with light green, and the left side starts with slightly darker green and the go across. The middle bottom triangle will have both colors, with the lighter green bracketing the darker green lines.

So my next step is to sew the kimono body together and then the sleeves together so that I can embroider without having to worry about my lines matching up once I am done.

Things I need to buy:
- lots of medium green cotton embroidery thread
- even more light green cotton embroidery thread
- dressmakers carbon paper and tracing wheel
- embroidery needles
- thin tracing paper

Also I need to either find my quilters graph paper or buy some at one of the back to school sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment